What is a section 10B permit and do we need one?

  • Section 10B small bus permits are issued for use in Northern Ireland, these permits cannot be used to provide transport to members of the general public and organisations must ensure that they are only carrying passengers that their organisation is set up to benefit.

    A permit allows an organisations, who own or have a minibus on a hire contract, to operate a minibus – a vehicle with up to 16 passenger seats, for ‘Hire or Reward’.

    Where can we obtain a permit?

    The Department of Infrastructure can issue section 10B permits in Northern Ireland to not-for-profit organisations.  You can contact them on 028 9054 0540.

    Section 10B permits can also be issued by the CTA as we are a Designated Body, we are only allowed to issue these permits to our members.  Members can download the CTA section 10B permit application form by logging in to the Members Area of this website, log in details are shown on your Membership Certificate.

    If you are not a CTA Member but would like to know more about the CTA and our membership offer please view our CTA Membership section.

    How much do they cost?

    Section 10B permits cost £11.00 if you obtain them from the CTA and you will need to ensure that your organisation continues to be a member as we retain the right to revoke/remove a S10b permit should your members lapse.

    Do they have an expiry date?

    No, section 10B permits do not have an expiry date however, operators must ensure that permit discs are legible and that they do not overwrite any information on them.