What is a section 22 permit and do we need one?

  • A community bus permit is issued for use in Great Britain and does allow organisations to provide transport for members of the general public by way of a local registered bus route.  The local registered bus route has to be registered with the Traffic Commissioners.  The operator can request the Traffic Commissioner to allow them to also operate ‘other services’, this will allow them to offer services, such as private hire, to enable them to subsidise their local registered service if it is operating at a loss.

    Where can we obtain a section 22 permit?

    Application forms for section 22 permits can be obtained from the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency, you can contact them by telephone on 0300 123 9000.