What is a section 10B permit and do we need one?

  • Section 10B small bus permits are issued for use in Northern Ireland. These permits cannot be used to provide transport to members of the general public and organisations must ensure that they are only carrying passengers that their organisation is set up to benefit. 

    A permit allows an organisation, who owns or leases a minibus with up to 16 passenger seats, to operate the vehicle for ‘hire or reward’. 

    CTA members can find detailed resources about what permit they may need, in our members’ area.

    Where can we obtain a permit? 

    The Department of Infrastructure can issue section 10B permits in Northern Ireland to not-for-profit organisations.  You can contact them on 028 9054 0540. 

    As CTA are a designated ‘permit issuing body’, we are able to issue Section 10B permits to our members. CTA members can access this service by logging into the Members Area of this website and downloading the permit application form and guidance notes. For login details, check your membership certificate. 

    If you are not a CTA Member but would like to know more about the CTA and our membership offer please check out our CTA Membership pages. 

    How much do they cost? 

    Section 10B permits cost £11. 

    Section 10B permits issued by CTA are only valid if your organisation has a current membership. Please note if your membership should lapse, your permits will no longer be valid.  

    Do they have an expiry date? 

    No, section 10B permits do not have an expiry date however, operators must ensure that permit discs are legible and that they do not overwrite any information on them.