Who can drive our minibuses operated using section 10B permits?

  • Category D1 101 entitlement 

    Drivers who passed their car driving test before 1st January 1997 will normally have a D1(101) – minibus, not for hire or reward – entitlement on their licence.  This entitlement will remain on the licence until it expires, usually when the driver reaches 70 years old or unless removed by DVA, usually for medical reasons.  Even though the licence restriction says ‘not for hire or reward’ these licence holders can drive a minibus operated under a section 10B permit with the following conditions: 

    • They are only able to drive a minibus on a voluntary basis and they can receive out-of-pocket expenses. 
    • There is no weight restriction attached to the size of the minibus the driver can drive, however they must not overload a minibus which has had its weight restricted. 

    Drivers, such as teachers, health workers and caretakers who drive a minibus as part of their employment are deemed to be paid drivers.  These drivers will need to hold: 

    • a full PCV D1 driving licence gained by taking a second test. 
    • a Driver Qualification Card to demonstrate that they have taken the required periodic training, called the Driver Certificate of Professional Competence or Driver CPC. 

    Category B entitlement 

    Drivers who passed their driving test from 1 January 1997 were not granted the D1 101 entitlement on their licence and they will only have a B entitlement. If a driver with only a category B entitlement can comply with all of the following conditions they may drive, on behalf of a non-commercial body for social purposes but not for hire or reward, if they: 

    • are the holder of a full licence authorising the driving of vehicles in category B; 
    • have held that licence for an aggregate period of not less than 2 years; 
    • are aged 21 or over, but under 70 (unless the driver has passed a PCV medical and has gain the restriction code 79 (NFHR); and 
    • receive no payment or consideration for so doing, other than out-of-pocket expenses; 
    • drive a vehicle included in sub-category D1 which has no trailer attached and has a maximum authorised mass- 
    • not exceeding 3.5 tonnes, excluding any part of that weight which is attributable to specialised equipment intended for the carriage of disabled passengers, and 
    • not exceeding 4.25 tonnes otherwise.

    CTA members can access more information and resources on driver licencing in the members’ area of our website.